US authorities say they want to “put an end” to the family of missing British actor Julian Sands.
The 65-year-old has been reported missing for more than five weeks in the Baldy Mountain area of California’s San Gabriel Mountains.
He failed to return from the hike and it was clear “something went wrong”, his hiking partner Kevin Ryan said at the time.
Since then, state and federal agencies have been involved in numerous on-foot and aerial searches.
The most recent search was conducted Saturday and involved more than 20 members of the Fontana Sheriff’s Station and West Valley Search and Rescue.
A spokesman for the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department said: “On January 25, the crew focused on an area where a Cal Highway Patrol Recco device may have hit electronic equipment.
“Unfortunately, nothing has been found that would lead to the discovery of Mr Sands.
“With the approaching storm approaching, the ground search for Mr Sands will be delayed for some time.
“Our goal is to end Mr Sands’ family and we will try again if we can.”
Search results ‘may not be what we were looking for’, police say
“Something went wrong,” says friend and hiking buddy
Sands’ family had previously praised the searchers for their “heroic” efforts and said they were “deeply moved” by the support they had received.
“Our heartfelt thanks go out to the compassionate members of the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department who are coordinating the search for our beloved Julian, and especially to the heroic search party… who braved the ground and the air The difficult conditions brought Julian home,” the statement read.
“We were touched by the love and support shown.”
Sands was born in Yorkshire and moved to Los Angeles in 2020.
He has appeared in films such as Warlock, A Room with a View and Leaving Las Vegas, and on the TV shows Smallville and 24.